In June of 2020, Hedera hosted Hedera20 — its first-ever global virtually distributed hackathon event. Over 800 developers from 72 countries joined us in building decentralized applications that utilize the Hedera Consensus Service for various use cases. After weeks of hacking, we had six unique sponsor challenges completed, 45 full-fledged Hedera-powered projects built and judged, and over $35,000 USD in hbar was rewarded.
With Hedera20 behind us, it’s time to look forward to Hedera21: A hackathon fully dedicated to tokenization applications that take full advantage of the newly released Hedera Token Service (HTS). Here are the event details:
- Registration: January 5th, 2020 - February 11th, 2020 (https://www.hedera21.com/)
- Hacking: January 19th at 9 am PT - February 12th at 11:45 pm PT (4 weeks)
- Team Size: Up to 5 team members
- Prizes: $35,000+ USD in hbars and additional sponsor prizes
HTS lets you configure and issue native tokens on the globally distributed Hedera public network, without having to configure a smart contract. HTS tokens inherit the security and stability properties and similar performance of native hbar cryptocurrency, with the added benefit of account KYC verification and freeze, token supply management, and other advanced configurations. We anticipate ecosystem partners, such as wallets, exchanges, explorers, and more, to support token projects that utilize this game-changing service starting on day one of mainnet launch in early 2021.
To get started and put your skills to the test, grab friends or colleagues to form a new team or join an existing one and register at https://www.Hedera21.com — we can’t wait to see the tokenized future you’ll build.
Judges are looking for applications or developer tools that utilize the Hedera Token Service (HTS) and promote active Hedera account creation and tokenization of digital or physical assets. Having launched on the Hedera testnet in December, we’re in the early days of developers and entrepreneurs exploring the possibilities of tokenization. HTS is well suited to take advantage of the unique qualities of Hedera, including fast token transfers, low & predictable fees, real-time settlement, and aBFT security — all Hedera’s stable network, owned and governed by the world’s leading organizations.
As sponsors of Hedera21 formalize their unique challenges and prizes, all registrants of the hackathon will receive notice. Be sure to check out https://www.Hedera21.com regularly for challenge and prize updates.
- Artiona Bogo, Sales Engineer at Google Cloud
- Helen Disney, CEO of Unblocked
- Jonathan Padilla, Blockchain Strategy at PayPal
- Joshua Q. Isreal Satten, Director: Practice Lead & Evangelist, Blockchain at Wipro
- Dr. Leemon Baird, Chief Scientist and Co-Founder of Hedera Hashgraph
- Samuel Byungsun Park, Task Leader, iLab Blockchain Task/CTO at LG Electronics
- Spencer Dinwiddie, Founder of Calaxy and Professional Athlete on the Brooklyn Nets